Link building has become an extremely important task for online marketers, it is a big part of search engine optimization. The number of links that point to your website, and quality of the site from which they’re coming, all effect how search engines rank your website. Link building is used to describe the task of building links to a website, meaning increasing the number of links that point to your site. This does not include internal linking – when one page like “About Us” links back to your home page. The two main reasons as to why building links is so important are:
- Building links helps direct click-through traffic to your website.
- It improves your site’s rankings with search engines and its overall optimization.
Being thrust into the world of link building can be confusing and difficult for many beginners. But, it’s such an important part of your optimization that it’s worth the effort.
Here are 6 tips to get you started:
- Create new original content for your site and make sure it’s visible and accessible. Post articles in your blog and link back to them in your newsletter and promote the content through your social media. The benefit to doing this is that the more your content is out there, the more likely it is that people will link to it, especially if you’re one of the first people to talk about the topic or provide the, hot information.
- Quality is better than quantity. Be sure to write great content instead of a lot of decent content. Quality articles will gain more links and exposure on good websites. Referral traffic increases when articles are featured on reputable websites.
- Guest blog on a complementary blog or website. Be sure that the website you guest blog for is relevant to your industry and seen as a credible source. This is a good way to gain quality inbound links and boost brand awareness. If you are able to establish a good partnership you have the potential to build further reciprocal linking.
- Do not spam. The algorithms of search engines are updated to make sure search results are relevant and to remove spam in their index. Your rankings should remain intact as long as your content is relevant and you avoid spam tactics.
- Be sure to syndicate your RSS feed and not your article content. Do not publish duplicate content on every website. Keep the original content on your website and ping services to publish your site’s feed such as Twitter, Technorati, and Facebook. By doing this you have the opportunity to gain visitors to your website and give them a chance to share your content via social media.
- And finally, patience is a virtue. Create a schedule to check your rankings and progress once a week. Although it is hard not to check them every day, it’s best to limit yourself. There are plenty of other valuable tasks you can accomplish by doing so.