Search Engine Marketing Resources & Internet Marketing Tools
Below are some of the valuable search engine marketing resources that have proven to be useful in understanding search engines, search engine optimization and search engine marketing. Please feel free to use these internet marketing tools for your own research and inspiration. For more tips, tricks, and insight be sure to sign up for our newsletter; we include great tools for website marketing, the latest finds and suggestions on how to improve your data analytics.
- Boss Convincing Reasons to Invest in SEO – You know what SEO is but you’re not sure if it’s right for you? Check out this presentation and you’ll understand just how important optimizing your website really is.
- Using Scribd for SEO – Scribd is the largest social publishing and reading site in the world. It is easy to use, share, and discover informative, entertaining and original written content on the web and mobile devices.
- Benefits of Image Optimization – Image searches are much less competitive than word searches. It is very likely that with optimization your images can be in a top position on search results pages, making it easier for current and potential customers to find your website.
- What’s So Important About Search Engine Optimization (SEO)? – You mean other than improving your bottom line by driving qualified traffic to your website? Well, take a look and we’ll outline the ways in which SEO will really improve your website’s visibility, productivity, and ROI.
Tips to Getting Ranked by the Search Engines:
Website marketing tools can help you improve your optimization, but for strong website performance you have to have a solid base. These tips are a great checklist to help you be sure that your website is performing at its strongest.
- Have a clear hierarchy to your site and use text links – a site index can help.
- Make sure that your site is full of informative text and that the text uses common search terms.
- Use accurate page titles.
- Avoid pages with hundreds of links – this may penalize you.
- View your pages with a text browser to see your site like a search engine.
- If you use dynamic content or a CMS, make sure that your content can be crawled.
- Avoid hidden text or links.
- Avoid doorway pages, pages loaded with irrelevant words, or multiple copies of the same page.
Choosing Keywords for Your SEM Campaign:
When choosing keywords to target for your website, it’s important to put yourself in your target audiences’ shoes. If possible, speak to your customers, leads, vendors and employees about the terms they use to find the product/service solution your business offers. The best website marketing tool you have is yourself because you know your business best, and you know your customers.
- Use alternate spellings and misspellings (e.g. calendar, calander).
- Include various brand names your site carries.
- Include 2-3 word keyword phrases people might search for.
- If you are interested in targeting a local or regional audience, be sure to include keyword terms for your city, county and neighboring cities. The words can appear before of after the keyword phrase, such as “San Diego hat company” or “hat company in San Diego”.
- Be specific. If you sell hats, rather than trying to compete with all the big hat companies out there, you’ll have a better chance of placing higher in the search engines by targeting a “niche” market. For example try: novelty hats, straw hats, felt hats, etc.
- Test your keywords in the search engines. Do competing companies or related materials come up for those keywords?
- Use a thesaurus to come up with alternative keywords. If you don’t have access to your MS Word thesaurus, use one online at Thesaurus.com or Google’s search term suggestion tool. Review the text and keywords on your competitors’ websites. Do those terms apply to your business?
- Make sure you expand on your keywords. Go beyond words that are specific to your product or service. For example, if you were a wedding planner, you would have to remember that people planning weddings may be conducting keyword searches for things not directly related to the actual wedding ceremony. They might be looking for: bachelor parties, bridal veils, engagement rings, etc.
- Think about how these keywords will work together and be incorporated into the text. Can you write a paragraph of 4 sentences using at least 5 of these keyword phrases?
Web Marketing Tools for Pay-Per-Click Advertising:
These are great tools for internet marketing to help you avoid wasting money on the stumbling blocks. Pay-per-click advertising can be very effective at driving traffic and increasing sales when correctly implemented.
PayPerClickSearchEngines.com– Long-standing guide to paid placement search engines, along with links to articles and resources about dealing with them. (Updated Nov. 2002)
PayPerClickAnalyst.com– Reviews of major pay-per-click search engines, along with news about changes to them. (Updated Nov. 2002)
Search Engine Marketing Resources:
SEM Blogs – The best blogs on the net covering topics from marketing and advertising to PR and search marketing.
Google Toolbar – Free browser utility enables users to search from any page on the web; new features include pop-up blocker, auto web form filler, blogger button and calculator.
Search Engine Tools – This site offers some great search engine marketing resources including the webpage size analyzer, search engines simulator, html validator and keyword density analyzer.
ROI Calculator – Calculate your return on investment with this handy tool.
Top Yahoo searches – Learn the top searches performed on Yahoo.
DNS Stuff – Tools including Spam database lookup, reverse DNS lookups, IP routing and more.
WHOIS Source – IP address search, WHOIS records and alerts for use of related domain names.
Google search terms suggestions – Plug in your keyword terms and generate some useful alternatives that your visitors may be using to find you.
Thesaurus.com – A simple thesaurus is useful in brain-storming alternative keyword terms you may want to target for your search engine optimization campaign.
Internet Marketing Resources for Social Media and PR:
Trackur – Easily monitor your brand and follow the buzz by having Trackur email you automated reports and feeds.
Data Analytics Tools and Web Statistics:
Internet traffic, search engine usage and online marketing statistics.
Confused about some of these website marketing tools? Not sure what they mean? Learn about the search engine marketing terminology and concepts here.
Search Engine News and Online Resources:
To stay on top of the search engine rankings, you have to know what the search engines are doing. These are great resources for internet marketing because the more you know the better optimized you will be.